Tuesday, March 27, 2012

One Step Closer to Home

We are winding down our last full day in Guangzhou. Cue the Hallelujah chorus. Actually, we have loved this beautiful city. The weather has been perfect, the locals are very friendly, and the flowers and trees are in full bloom, despite the fact that it is winter here. We are just ready.to.be.home.

After we receive Thomas's U.S. visa tomorrow, we'll take a train to Hong Kong, spend the night, and then fly home! I miss the Littlest Hall so much. And my bed. But mainly, I'm ready for all the Hall birds to be back in the Arkansas nest.

I expect the transition will be challenging at times. The two littles are both very strong-willed. They will also be roommates. I'm hoping their shared experience as little boys will bridge the language and culture gap. Because of Thomas's vision issues, I don't expect sports to be the magnet for him that they are for Everett.....so I'm eager to see what interests draw them together.

One thing I have discovered that they have in common is smarts. (It's true - Everett's no dumb jock.) Thomas gets it. This afternoon we were working on letters and words. I wrote his first and last name and asked him (in English)to copy. He did - three times. With his trademark airplane drawings. Then I wrote little brother's first and last names. My plan was to explain that he and his brothers have the same last name. Um, no explanation needed. He copied Everett's name and before I could ask, he wrote Fletcher's name - including last. We still have work to do on oral language acquisition, but I am no longer concerned that he'll be ready for Kindergarten in the fall!

View from the hotel's restaurant where we eat breakfast each morning.



Kid can put away some food.


First puzzle together


Genius

Retirees in a Guangzhou park doing Tai Chi
Fletcher joined in the hacky sack action at the park.

Highlight of the day - taking the oath at the American Consulate. No pictures allowed inside, but it's official: Jude Thomas Xiayu Hall is recognized as our son by the U.S. government.

1 comment:

  1. This is all so exciting! Wishing you safe and uneventful travels and a God-directed transition to a family of 5 as you return to Arkansas! Love all of you!!

    ReplyDelete