Sunday, June 10, 2012

Brotherly Love

Adding a third child to the Hall family has seriously changed the dynamics and balance of power around here. Being first born just doesn't carry the weight it once did. Instead, two against one generally breaks in favor of the littles.

As the only girl in the mix, I find myself preferring to observe the mayhem from a safe distance. Then someone starts crying and I remember that I'm the responsible adult who has to step in and stop the fracas.

I know I'm supposed to feel bad that Fletcher is outnumbered and often tormented by two high octane little brothers. But I love that Everett and Thomas are partners in crime. They are forging a bond. Right now, their older brother is the most convenient target of their fire. But one day, it will be someone else. Maybe a kid teasing Thomas because he pronounces a word funny. Or maybe a kid picking on him because one of his eyes doesn't work.

I pray that if given the opportunity, Everett will stick up for his brother. Don't get me wrong....I'm not encouraging a schoolyard fight. Frankly, Everett doesn't need any encouragement to mix it up. If any of my sweet children will be calling me for bail money one day, it will be Everett. 


It's the only child in me. Sibling dynamics fascinate me. I love watching my children be brothers. And I hold onto the hope that they all are forging a bond that runs deep and lasts long.

As I remind them often, one day, their Daddy and I will be old and really grouchy, and they'll have to stick together to put up with us.



No comments:

Post a Comment